Aestus GeoTrax CSM+™: Creating Accurate Conceptual Site Models
Without the right conceptual site models, too many environmental sites are not cleaned up and end up in treadmill-type cycles for years or decades, significantly increasing the cost and time to site closure:
The primary reason for this situation is that developing accurate conceptual site models from data generated only from tens of wells is virtually impossible at most sites because:
- The drilling work is not targeted
- The site characterization data density is too low
- An effective way to understand the subsurface between drilling locations has not existed
- The site data have often not been geospatially integrated into 2D and 3D visualization formats to allow all project stakeholders to visualize the data in a similar fashion and understandable format for purposes of developing a useful conceptual site model
Fortunately, we have been able to solve the above problems via the Aestus GeoTrax CSM+™ development process.
- Scan First. Drill Smart. Aestus GeoTrax CSM+™ uses the proprietary electrical resistivity subsurface imaging capabilities of Aestus GeoTrax Survey™ to facilitate a scan first, then drill approach for conceptual site models for the environmental industry. This allows our clients to drill smarter, avoiding the conventional drilling blind approach to site characterization and target the drilling work. This scan-first concept has been very successful in other industries and is now standard practice in the oil and gas (3D seismic scanning) and medical industries (X-ray, CAT scan, MRI, sonogram, etc.) because it is effective, faster, less expensive, and reduces risk.
- Ultra-High Data Density. The Aestus GeoTrax Survey™ non-invasive scanning process typically delivers tens of thousands of real field data points in the form of multiple 2D vertically oriented subsurface images at a project site.
- Improved Interpolation. Aestus GeoTrax CSM+™ addresses the drilling data interpolation problem by providing data/imagery along a continuous GeoTrax Survey™ transect line rather than providing data collected only from discrete points such as soil borings or wells. This continuous data improves interpolation between traditional discrete data points and assists in confirming or redefining the conceptual site model.
- Data Integration. 3D Integration. Aestus GeoTrax VIZ™ provides geospatial integration and 2D and 3D visualization of our ultra-high data density GeoTrax Survey™ subsurface imagery with historical and follow-up confirmation drilling data. This process capitalizes on our clients previous investments in historical drilling data and allows us to effectively calibrate or convert our electrical image data to correspond to the areas of interest to our clients.
- Better Data. Better Decisions. Our GeoTrax CSM+™ process facilitates the development of a new ultra-high data density conceptual site model for the project site, which typically creates a better understanding of:
- Environmental contaminant distribution
- Presence of natural attenuation or enhanced bioactivity
- Preferential contaminant flow pathways
The resulting updated conceptual site model aids in locating hard-to-find zones of contamination, bioactivity, and impacts to surface water and sediments, and facilitates focused remediation that expedites site closure at a lower overall cost.